What is gastroenterology?
Gastroenterology is a medical specialty that involves the diagnosis and treatment of disorders of the digestive system. These disorders may affect the esophagus (food tube), stomach, small intestine, large intestine (colon), rectum, liver, gallbladder and pancreas.
A gastroenterologist is a physician who is trained in internal medicine and then spends several additional years training in gastroenterology. Most gastroenterologists are board certified in internal medicine. Then after specialty training and further testing, a physician can become board certified in gastroenterology.
- San Antonio gastroenterologists turning to fecal transplant in C-Diff cases
- Cologuard: New Home Colon Cancer Tests
- How to Prepare for a Colonoscopy
- Liver Disease: Are You Experiencing These Symptoms?
- Refined Sugar; Doctors Warn Against Eating Too Many Sweets